Recommendation on poverty and higher education (10/11/2011)
In this recommendation, referring to the December 2010 vision text on poverty and education, the Flemish Education Council focuses on concrete actions to increase the participation of students in poverty in the Flemish higher education.
Students in poverty have to be given maximum opportunities for entering, following and achieving higher education. Every actor has to take his responsibility.
What should the government do?
• provide sufficient resources
• inform and sensitize
• control study costs
• improve the statute of the student
• ensure mobility for all students
What should higher education institutions do?
• ensure a comprehensive diversity policy
• implement an adapted communication policy
• implement innovative educational policies
• control costs for study and student life
• provide adequate guidance
• pay attention to language policy
• honor an adapted human resources policy
• pay attention to internationalisation policy
The Vlor also highlights the responsibility of student services and (fellow) students.